Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sept '18 Lite Challenge: The Dark Age

Default Aug/Sept '18 Lite Challenge: The Dark Age

Okay, FINE.

Bogie made me do it.

Civilization has made it back up to about medieval levels, even if the ecosystem hasn't really come back yet.

### Latest WIP ###

Glad you joined our little foray into crater goodness! Looks very interesting, nice work.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Looks so nice Jshoer!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

I'm blatantly stealing stylistic elements from Francesca, Thomas, and a couple others. Hehe!

Major line work is done, with Sumi ink on recycled Bristol. Most of the land is rock, desert, and scrub, so I'm thinking what I could do with my superfine pen to add texture. I'll do some coloring digitally - can't wait to emphasize ejecta rays from the crater and make that Ironhold sign look all rusty!

### Latest WIP ###
    IMG_20180825_125903.jpg
    Last edited by jshoer; 08-25-2018 at 03:35 PM.

The linework is great.

Here's a nice photo of the linework - I think I'm done, after adding textural details all over. I will color digitally from this photo:

### Latest WIP ###
    IMG_0485.JPG

The line work looks very good.

I'm looking forward to seeing the color.

It's really promising, Jshoer, with some lovely touches ! If I can, I would just mention one detail, for future projects : I'm not sure if it's appropriate to make rivers going through the crescent mountain range as they do here : even with passes in mountain range, there is something weird with the terrain elevation here. For the river coming from Lakehold, a more natural path would probably have been the bay just South of Lakehold label, for example. But it doesn't change anything to the charm of your map, and I look forward to see the color !

Hmm, I think you're right, Misty. I was thinking of having a couple places where the rivers broke into the crater, just like the ocean broke into it in a few places to the south. That's a thing that's happened on Earth and Mars. But I could have been more careful about showing elevation to get the rivers to flow that way, because it doesn't really look like they should have in the first place!

I guess the real fix to this would have been to draw the crater walls at a shorter height than the mountain range to the northeast. One thing I think I could do now, though, is use the coloring and shading to add apparent height to the crater's ejecta rays. There's one splaying out in an easterly direction immediately to the south of Lakehold - the blocky, rocky terrain. If I share it to make that look like it has more vertical relief, maybe it will seem more logical for the river to head southwest?

I am just not feeling this one...too many other projects I'm more excited about! I may leave it here, unless anybody has some suggestions that really punch it up.

### Latest WIP ###
    DarkAge_color.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast