Thread: Davidson County, North Carolina

Wip Davidson County, North Carolina

This may be a bit different to most maps that are posted (I'm new here, so I wouldn't know too well).

A brief backstory- I do a bit of genealogy and there is a large concentration of my ancestors who lived around Davidson County in NC (it used to be bigger, now there are other smaller counties around there, in addition to Davidson). As a result, I often find documents or brief excerpts which mention certain towns or places around the area.

As such, I decided to make a little map to help me out. I should probably mention that I used google maps heavily in order to help me out (I for the most part just traced over it), which I must imagine is frowned upon here (I may come back and make it by hand at some point too).

Here is my map as of now:
    feezor2.png

I'm undecided whether I want to have some sort of coastline- here is a version from before which had one (excuse the unfinished look)
    feezor4.png

Any advice or opinion is much appreciated!

I prefer the first one, maybe the linework is too thick on the second. You should also add roads, but I don't know how far back in time you want to go, it might be hard to find the roads of the 18th century.

Yeah, the lines are a bit thick. I want the map to be around the Civil War, maybe a bit later, and there are actually quite a few maps of the County around, albeit either a bit too early or late to when I want to make my map. I'm planning on adding roads and maybe some other landmarks such as mills and churches.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

On the Google maps issue; the problem is that they have some weird copyright/licensing issues on their maps. OpenStreetMap has no such copyright problem and so it's a safer source to use.

As far as the map itself goes, I like the one with coastlines (although a thinner one might look nice). But I'm rather partial to ink-on-paper type maps so I'm a bit biased.

I think I would go with the lines, thinner (actually quite thin) as has been mentioned and dark blue in color. I can't tell if the lines you used were black or a dark blue on the pic you posted. You have a nice start, though.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
    Google Maps isn't an issue, I just thought that maybe people on here would see it as less effort or something. I don't plan on copyrighting my map or anything like that, it's just for personal use. I'll make sure to try out a thinner coastline when I have some time (this is just an idle project). Currently working on the roads, with which I'm using a map from 1910 for reference (I could post that one too, if anyone's interested).