Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 2018 Challenge - Ascerin

Default October 2018 Challenge - Ascerin

I'm disappointed with how it ended, but, it's not fair to work on something and not put it up for critique 'cos you ain't satisfied... This protrays my ink problems very well, as I had to put the linework LAST OF ALL.
    Anyway - Ascerin. As you see I've taken the challenge idea to the word, though my images aren't very similar to the beauties we were given to work with XD. It was, though, very good experiment work. I have my notes, and I'll get working on sorting what's wrong for my next watercolour.
    Credit to Ilanthar for the mountain-style, which I will never have enough of.
    Sorry about the border, people, I don't usually make on, and I didn't have the time to try lol.
    It seems some of the border has been cut out of the scan, but duh. Not much worth seeing there.
    Ascerin - watercolour and india ink on cold press paper.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MapMappingMapped; 10-19-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Hey, this is a pretty decent effort, don't put yourself down! One of the points of the challenges is to push yourself to experiment, and sometimes the results don't turn out exactly as you'd wish (I personally can relate to this 100%!) I like the insets and think you did a good job with them. It's very obvious which photos you're emulating. I like the border at the left hand side too. I think the design along the top and bottom doesn't stand out as much because it doesn't have the lineart around it. But no matter, it's still very pretty. And I like the trees too.

As experiments go, I think this one turned out not too badly!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I wholeheartedly second what ChickPea said!

And I whole heartedly agree with Chashio whole heartedly seconding what ChickPea said. This looks just fine to me. Way back in the day in some long forgotten art class, I tried doing water colors. It did not go well, but one of the more advanced students did manage to get a great hand drawn portrait of me wearing more of the coloring than I got on the paper.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

It may not have come out the way you wanted, but it does have a certain charm about it.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I think it looks charming! It's far, far better than anything I could do with ink and water colors!

Thank you guys! To be honest I have an effort disorder, getting into this one was hard! To put as much possible effort into a map it seems it needs to be one that I really love. Or else the map is blank and bored, as all names have been squeezed out my head!
    Perhaps one day I shall list down the faults in this and make ir again...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'm actually really impressed by the sea. I've always found it extremely difficult to get the color even, while being precise with the coast. Kudos on that, and honestly everything else as well. The leaves are gorgeous on the border; your trees look like trees. I'm not sure that many folks understand how bloody difficult precision is with watercolors.

I find it really nice. People who can draw and paint without CTRL-Z have my utmost respect. This map has a unique style to it. The trees are wonderful and the insets perfectly portray the whole theme of this challenge in a way that fits the map.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

I actually think it's great MMM and second what has been said about these challenges being a means to learn. You've succeeded in all goals! Great job.

Really like the little pine trees btw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast