Thread: Random World #872

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Random World #872

Ok, I haven't done 872 world maps. But it's been a lot.

My goal here is to try to come to some semblance of Ascension's classic tut using my new digital tools: Gimp 2.10, Krita, and ArtRage. Not sure how useful ArtRage will be for this purpose, but you never know.

Also, I eventually do need a world map for my book at some point

Here's the thing so far, generated it in PlanetGen, tweaked so that all sea is black and all land is white. Then I deleted a few islands and moved other stuff around so that the land would fit nicely in a side by side hemisphere projection later. Then I ran it through GProjector (which btw has a new snazzy version out, yay) to project it in Winkel Tripel (which is now an acceptable INPUT for GProjector, yay) and I'm ready to get to work.

Next order of business is to fix the land masses. PG does a great job at external continent outlines (for the most part) but wow, does it fubar the interiors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, land masses fixed. I wasn't *at all* happy with the way the Ascension tut was coming along, and in the meantime I stumbled on a kind of neat effect, so I used it to make mountains after totally switching the style. Not sure if it works or not, but it was fun to play with. I'll take a next crack at continuing tomorrow.

I toned down the "mountains" a ton, added some subtle relief shading, and I think this looks better, but I may still scrap em entirely and just go for swiss shading or find a different tut to play with.

Also added some vegetation coloring for an indication of climate.

I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks w.gofry

Ok, so I dropped back and punted, I really wanted that atlas look from Ascension's old tut, and it really works best if you make the landmass from the same clouds you use to generate mountains. And I ran into a GIMP 2.10 snafu

I get to the point where I emboss the mountains (using the gimp version of the tut), and look what 2.10's difference clouds have done.
    I went back into the undo history, and it's definitely the diff clouds that did it. I am sad.

Gonna try the diff clouds in the free trial of PS I grabbed (7 days of clouds, I may just make a bunch and save em). /crossfingers