Thread: Prince of Thorns: The Broken Empire

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Wip Prince of Thorns: The Broken Empire

I'm reading Mark Lawrence's brilliant "The Broken Empire" trilogy, fantasy novels set 1000+ years after the "Day of a Thousand Suns", when our world was destroyed in presumably a nuclear fireball. The sea levels rose, leaving a broken and half-drowned Europe, reduced to mediaeval technology.

It's a great series - I highly recommend - but only has fragmentary maps, so I really wanted to do a map of the whole of Europe. So this is based on a map of Europe with the sea level raised 300 feet/91 metres. The countries and cities are as described in the books and accompanying maps.

This is very much a work in progress - Draft 1 is just getting the data on the page, I'll play with some different style designs and see how it works out.

Base map from Fractal Terrains, the rest done in Photoshop CS6 with Wacom tablet.

broken empire D1.png

It looks certainly interesting.

Whoa, that's interesting. The design is super cool.
    How did you calculate the sea level rise for the outline? I'm asking because my own setting is based on our world, with 300 meters more water on it.

There's different software for doing it - I used Fractal Terrains and a binary with real world Earth data. I fiddled with the sea level until it looked roughly like the author's own map. It's not perfect but a useful tool.

I'm undecided whether to draw mountains and make it a medieval-style in-world map, or leave it with the real world data. I'll play with it and see what looks best.

Update: I've put in some hand-drawn mountains and added a lot more detail. He's actually written 9+ novels and short stories about this world and I've just started on the fourth, so it's going to take a while!

broken empire D2.png

That's pretty neat.

v4 - I've added hand drawn mountains and added a lot more details of towns and cities. One more book to read then I'm done!

broken empire D4.png
    Last edited by Robulous; 01-30-2019 at 01:25 PM.