Thread: Affinity Photo

Default Affinity Photo

Hi All,

Has anyone used Affinity Photo for their mapmaking. I just finished my first map using it and I thought it was a great. This comes from someone who had been using Photoshop since the later 90s to design websites and apps.

I was curious to see other maps made with Affinity products.

Thanks,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabbutler View Post
    Hi All,

Has anyone used Affinity Photo for their mapmaking. I just finished my first map using it and I thought it was a great. This comes from someone who had been using Photoshop since the later 90s to design websites and apps.

I was curious to see other maps made with Affinity products.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Here is an example of Affinity Photo on iPad
    http://www.joshua-butler.com/startin...raditional-way

I've actually had the software since the release, and I've been using its companion Affinity Designer for a while now, but I STILL haven't gotten around to actually properly testing what Af Photo can do. Been meaning to, but alas... It's just so hard to even think about moving away from PS since I know it like the back of my hand these days.

Definitely will get to it. Yup. One. Of. These. Days...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Unfortunately, AP, though it has the tools, great brush engine and awesome brush presets, it's impossible to use for bigger, more complex drawings.
    It become very sluggish, the strokes lags etc. when create more than couple layers on bigger canvas. Tested on 1.7.0.209 beta version.

I feel like the Affinity team focus more on the photo edditing side of AP more then drawing. You can still draw great things in it considering you are working with very few layers and not big canvas. Still it can be frustrating sometimes.
    I think we will have to wait at least another year to have some performance improvements in terms of drawing.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I think what I like about it is that you can save your file on iCloud and then edit it seemlessly between iPad and Desktop. The map I worked on was letter/a4 size, so I guess it didn't lag except on iPad.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabbutler View Post
    I think what I like about it is that you can save your file on iCloud and then edit it seemlessly between iPad and Desktop. The map I worked on was letter/a4 size, so I guess it didn't lag except on iPad.
    I just created an A1 sized map with dozens of layers and I didn't experience any noticeable lags.
    AP is already very good, but it terms of work flow it has to close the gap to PS; more so Affinity Designer - it is far beyond the usabilty of Illustrator. You can do everything Illustrator does, but it is often much more complex and time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I just created an A1 sized map with dozens of layers and I didn't experience any noticeable lags.
    AP is already very good, but it terms of work flow it has to close the gap to PS; more so Affinity Designer - it is far beyond the usabilty of Illustrator. You can do everything Illustrator does, but it is often much more complex and time consuming.
    I agree. I got it and keep trying to use it, but the workflow is just too different for me so far.
    I do notice lag because I do a lot of really fast strokes quite often. It's not terrible but noticeable and for me, too much.
    It is a really nice program though. Most will find it solid and up to their needs, I think.