Thread: Feb '19 / March '19 Lite Challenge: The Day Boy and the Night Girl

Default Feb '19 / March '19 Lite Challenge: The Day Boy and the Night Girl

Okay, I'm in!

I will be creating a map based on George MacDonald's "The Day Boy and the Night Girl", probably the best of his fairy tales. Certainly, it is the only one which I can describe the basic premise of from memory thirty years later. I am rereading to get the necessary details, of course, but in broad strokes, it is the tale of a witch who has the mind of a mad scientist. She's driven by curiosity, and the title characters are two children she raises, the boy always surrounded by brightness and the girl living with nothing but the light of a dim lamp, the boy conditioned to sleep through the night and the girl to sleep through the day.

This will be my first map in Krita, which I've so far used to create some book covers for my NaNoWriMo page and a couple of tokens. It will also be the first thing I'll be drawing using a tablet.

Sounds very interesting! Welcome to the Challenge!

Wip sketch layer

Clearly, I cannot use these tools very well yet. Well, I didn't claim this was going to be good. And I have started.

### Latest WIP ###
    DayBoyAndNightGirlMap.png

Wip sky layer

No great progress, but I made a split sky background for the theme. I want to put the title characters on the sides (see sketch layer), but if I don't get that done, I can at least get thematic representation with the split sky.

### Latest WIP ###

Wip

This may be the last one. There are a couple things I'll still add if I have time.

I am pretty sure I should have made this smaller. Or at least submit a reduced size final to hide some of the problems that only become clear at full magnification. Also, I should begin near the start of the challenge.

It was all experimenting, though, and I'm a bit more comfortable with my tools than when I started, although I would be interested if anyone can refer me to a tutorial on figuring out what pressure sensitivity settings to use to best match ones pre-existing drawing habits.

### Latest WIP ###

Wip Final Version

Added oriel windows overlooking the garden (last major descriptive element in the story that was missing). Added some darker spots to break up monotony of the plains, filled in some spots where the sky was showing through the land, added a trio of buffalo roaming the plain and a lion moving to the forest, and halved the dimensions because it makes the sloppy bits very slightly less obvious.

### Latest WIP ###
    DayBoyAndNightGirlMap_reduced.png

just made it!