Thread: When you ask yourself if your Geography is consistent ...

Default When you ask yourself if your Geography is consistent ...

Check this out ....

DyF4nz-XgAE7YE0.jpg large.jpg

Not made by me but found around on the web ...

"Who designed this, an alien?"

Slartibartfast.gif

Yes. He also won an award for his work on Norway.

Well, those weird features all have a geological reason to be, if your world is not supposed to be scientifically realistic it's ok but for a conworld in which you got deep into climates and plate tectonics it's perfectly logical

The problem is that most of these complaints when they are actually made about map features aren't about realism. They are about cliched tropes from slavishly copying Europe. Pointing out that Europe has the features that cliched fantasy maps copy from Europe isn't clever; it is missing the whole point of the criticisms. (And maps are far more likely to be criticized for either excessively smooth coastlines or obviously fractal generated coastlines; fjord-style is a lot of work and is rarely overdone, and I have only seen it criticized when inappropriately placed.)

Oh, what really needs criticism is how poorly edited the sections are where bits of the map were cut out. The lack of coastal border line sticks out like a sore thumb, calling attention to the overall clumsiness of the edits.

I'm also not sure what "HERE BE ELVES" is supposed to mean, since this map doesn't show the dense forest of cliched elfhome.

Criticism of the maps in Middle-Earth is based on ranges meeting at right angles. You'll note that for all that Turkey is stuffed full of an insane number of mountains, they are mostly in ranges running parallel to each other, as one would expect from a big build up of mountains from a massive pile-up of stone where tectonic plates slam into each other.

As a parody of fantasy-map criticism, it might hit the mark for some forum somewhere, but certainly not for the informed comments found here and really not even for casual map commentary anyplace I've known.

The map is obviously a parody mocking of criticism some people might do on a fantasy made map weird features... many times we are too critic to a map withouut knowing that many features might be explained throught actual natural phenomena.

I'm laughing My *** off.

I've seen time ago a map with the most requested places that usually feature in a map... l wonder if I can find it again =D

Greetings from the fu*ing Boot
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

I think the funniest bit about the map is that they edited it. The jokes are pretty good though.
    The "Here be elves" bit is because there be elves. It's Scandinavia . Also Trolls.