Thread: New Here, Mexikorn

Default New Here, Mexikorn

Hi there, I don't believe much in Introductory Threads as, in my experience they tend to be very shallow but here I am.

I've been derping at worldbuilding for a while now without ever much accomplishing anything. So far I've only played with ideas and concepts. I'm not personally a great fan of fantasy settings as they tend to be very inconsistent and poorly thought out. Any map or world with glaring issues which (the creator obviously never put any thought in and) are just handwaved with magic or explained away with "you just don't know why it's like that" I automatically disregard as bull****. I'm kind of a pedantic and I try to design my stuff correctly, coherently and flawlessly. This perfectionism has lead me to look up medieval demographics, geography, biomes, biome placement, tectonic movements, wind and weather patterns, etc. multiple times now. Though as I'm overwhelmed by the standards I set myself I don't really know where to start and just end up looking up some stuff on google. What I should do is pick up an ancient tome of scholastic knowledge (also known as geography textbook) and consequently study it. But well, I guess I'll never change.

The reason I came to this place is simple. I've seen many inspiring maps and projects by this community and look forward to lurking more before I eventually join. I wonder what knowledge, tips and tricks I'll end up taking away with me.

Greetings, Mexikorn! I can assure you there are perfectionists abound on this forum that share your knack for the nitty-gritty minutia. I hope you jump right in regardless of the overwhelming feeling, good luck!