Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April/May '19 Lite Challenge: Andersstader

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default April/May '19 Lite Challenge: Andersstader

I started on this challenge last week but only have something to show now. I hope to be able to finish this challenge but time is quickly running away so this thread will hopefully keep me locked in!

Andersstader is the home of a man named Anders. He had a house built of turf walls with wooden paneling and an inner timber frame. His house was in a prime landslide area though and at least once a landslide weakened the building, piling up earth on the far side.

Poor Anders though was exiled from his house and country, it was something about killing a few of his neighbors and the remaining neighbors not liking it. He always claimed that they were making up the claims and had no proof, for how could they have proof when the bodies were missing? It is also a real coincidence that almost as soon as he left another landslide totaled the house, burying any further evidence.

Several different theories have been passed around as to where the bodies of the neighbors disappeared to, this being one of them. However, the truth is now buried too deep to discover and Anders is a safe distance away to bother with an excavation to test the theory.

This is an idea I got when reading about Eiriksstadir in Iceland, the supposed home of Eirikr the Red, before he was exiled for killing his neighbors. The rest I just made up. The style of the building in general will be similar to the 'viking'/icelandic buildings of the time, with the turf walls, central hearth, and benches along the walls(and the wooden frame to help with the contrast between the turf & inside). The secret room however does not fit in archaeologically but it is a cool idea all the same!

So here are my three drawings so far, the first two being general plans, one top down and the other an isometric(?) view. I hope the images are clear enough! I will have better scanned versions of later drafts. Let me know what you think.

Andersstader Image 1.jpg

Andersstader Image 2.jpg
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Andersstader Image 3.jpg

welcome to the challenge! I look forward to seeing this develop!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Welcome to the challenge Arimel, this looks interesting.

Thank you both! I hope that it will continue to be interesting, I have not tried this style of drawing before!

Here is an update. This is a completely penciled version. I will start to convert everything into ink now, depending on the feedback. I also have to add something under the far left bench. I have not thought anything up that I feel capable of drawing yet.

### Latest WIP ##
    Andersstaderdraft pencil.jpg

Well, I admit that I have no idea what I'm seeing... but I think that's just my eyes. It's allergy season for me, and my eyes have been especially itchy, watery, and blurry the past few weeks. The shadows intrigue me, though. It almost seems to be some kind of structure carved into the side a hill, or mountain maybe? Those are the impressions I get.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Artisan

Nice start. Will be interesting to see where this one goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Well, I admit that I have no idea what I'm seeing... but I think that's just my eyes. It's allergy season for me, and my eyes have been especially itchy, watery, and blurry the past few weeks. The shadows intrigue me, though. It almost seems to be some kind of structure carved into the side a hill, or mountain maybe? Those are the impressions I get.

It is definitely not your eyes, just the image being really faint. This is the problem I always have when working on my drafts in pencil.
    Here is an annotated version of the same image, hopefully to point everything out (I undoubtedly missed stuff though). Also, I have photographed an image of the map, which comes out in much more detail and darker lines. The photograph does have my shadow in it though, showing my laziness in not tacking it to the wall to take the picture.

anderssstader annotated.jpg

andersstaden 1.jpg

Please let me know if it is still unclear. I always have trouble seeing what other people are seeing when they look at my work!

------

Also, thank you Kier! I hope the final product remains interesting!

Another quick update. I have inked in about a third of the map now, which should give a good idea on how the rest of the building looks. I hope to be finished by Saturday with the final scanned in version. Let me know any suggestions for changes for the next bit.

trash 1.jpg

Nice line work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast