Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June '19 Lite Challenge: The Engulfing of Itaquatiara

Wip May/June '19 Lite Challenge: The Engulfing of Itaquatiara

My first challenge, starting 15 days later!

This is the village of Itaquatiara, being swallowed by the ocean. It's my very first draft. I really like the theme of this challenge because my setting is entirely based on places on the verge of destruction.
    Beyond the theme, I'm gonna try make my first city map, and also the first one finished in ink using pen nibs.

### Latest WIP ###
    Itaquatiara 01.jpg

Wish me luck!

Making progress!

Itaquatiara 02.jpgItaquatiara 03.jpg
    ### Latest WIP ###

Perhaps I'll consider the inking as finished, but I'll add some color yet, so I'll try some light watercolors. Since the first idea I wanted to use watercolors because of the theme: the sea engulfing the town, so it's a bit of a poetic choice, I guess.

Last night I experimented a bit and I'm quite happy with the results:

Itaquatiara 03b.jpg

I like the line work! But I do think color will make it easier to define. Right now, it sort of looks like you have two surfaces, the water line, and then a valley that looks like darker water flowing up to it. It's just a tad confusing. But I love where you are going with it!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I like the line work! But I do think color will make it easier to define. Right now, it sort of looks like you have two surfaces, the water line, and then a valley that looks like darker water flowing up to it. It's just a tad confusing. But I love where you are going with it!
    Thanks, ladiestorm! The colors are making a huge difference, actually. I layed some base colors, and I think some more adjustments here and there and I'll consider it done. It was a very productive sunday over here.

### Latest WIP ###
    Itaquatiara 04.jpg

Oh! I get it now! The top portion of the map, is an isometric view... perhaps before the water started rising and flooding the town?

The bottom portion is a bird's eye view, as the water is flooding the town. It took me a minute (and seeing the coloration) to figure that out. Quite ingenious! I love the color choice! It looks like something straight out of a children's story book
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Lovely view, Brn, and I really love what you did with color (and why you choose watercolor ^^). Definitely clever to add this purple for shading

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Oh! I get it now! The top portion of the map, is an isometric view... perhaps before the water started rising and flooding the town?

The bottom portion is a bird's eye view, as the water is flooding the town. It took me a minute (and seeing the coloration) to figure that out. Quite ingenious! I love the color choice! It looks like something straight out of a children's story book
    Thanks, ladiestorm! Now I understand your confusion; my mistake! I should have explained it on my first post, haha. The idea of the two views came from a map by Sara Drake that I saw on her Instagram recently (this one). I really like how she represented a bird's eye view and the rest of the landscape as isometric. It's so clever!

In my case, there are two different scales. The top part shows the entire region -- you can see Itaquatiara on the right, near the railroad. Both of the views shows the waters rising, actually (there was a spiritual world event in the setting so the sea levels rose around 30 meters by now). I've posted a map of the region before, although now it's a bit different.

Chã Crassa Editado.png

Aaaand... if it's looking like something from a children's book, I'm happy. It's not intended to be, but that's always a lovely compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Lovely view, Brn, and I really love what you did with color (and why you choose watercolor ^^). Definitely clever to add this purple for shading
    Thanks, Bee! I love watercolors... I'm thinking of practice a bit more with them.
    (And I think I'm going to ask some admin to change my nickname to a proper "Bruno" and make it easier to everyone, haha)

Welcome to the challenge brnmuller, great map you have going there. I also like the coloration a lot.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected NarramoreArt's Avatar

I really like what you've shown of your work! Always nice to see another traditional illustrator around
    Find me online as @NarramoreArt
    I'm mostly on twitter but you can also find me on instagram or even facebook!
    You can also check out my website narramore.art

Thanks, Bogie and Narramore! ^^

I finished it!

### Latest WIP ###
    Tiriana - Itaquatiara by Bruno Muller.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast