Thread: August 2019 Challenge: Bungle in the Jungle

Wip August 2019 Challenge: Bungle in the Jungle

Going with the prompt "The overgrown ruins of an ancient palace in the Hauratra Jungle. The air is strangely still and quiet." The second part is done; all I need to do is remember not to add any sign of wind. My thread title reflects my confidence in doing the first. No decisions on style for the first part yet. I did do a little sketch of the palace layout to use as a guide to lay out the ruins. This one is being done in GIMP.

### Latest WIP ###

August2019Challenge.png

Welcome, rdanhenry. I like your title!

Looking forward to seeing how you develop this.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Jungles are not famous for being quiet, so this sounds like an exceptionally mysterious place. How exciting.

Wip

Didn't do much this weekend, but I did create a green-and-brown background for the jungle environment and a couple of roofs.

### Latest WIP ###

August2019Challenge.jpg

Wip

I have the palace done. Now to ruin it (already burnt out the one building)...

I did start on forest canopy, but I think I'm going to scrap what I had (not that much) and start over, so that's not shown.

### Latest WIP ###
    August2019Challenge.jpg

Encroaching jungle and building damage added. Also weird phenomenon in the magery.

### Latest WIP ###August2019Challenge.jpg

Wip Now with text!

I did a little work on the vines and roof-damage. The more significant work is adding some text to get some sense of story into the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    August2019Challenge.jpg

Coming along nicely. Perhaps it is just a place holder, but the goldish building on the right feels kinda out of place to me in stylistic terms
    Then again haven't read all the text you've included, so maybe I am completely off base with that.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Coming along nicely. Perhaps it is just a place holder, but the goldish building on the right feels kinda out of place to me in stylistic terms
    Then again haven't read all the text you've included, so maybe I am completely off base with that.
    Thanks for commenting.

Well, it is physically in a different style, being a literal roof of gold (for technical reasons that the mages that once worked there could have explained). It's an unusual building, so I don't mind too much that it's standing out, though it doubtless could be better. I'm just not sure I'd be up to it, and I think I'd get more mileage out of touching up the vines a bit more and getting rid of the light patch in the lower right and even creating an upgrade to the north-pointers, all of which I am confident I can achieve if I put in the time (which may or not happen... I may call this done at this point). It probably would also be more efficient to move on to the August/Sept. lite challenge, where I can pretend I have some chance of winning (or at least making a showing in the voting).

I should look up some roof tutorials, though, because I'm bound to need some again in the future. I am not as happy with any of them as I am with the burnt-out building.

Map

Well, I did two of the things (jungled up the corner and improved the pointers). I think this is probably my last update on this one.

### Latest WIP ###

August2019Challenge.jpg