Thread: The Crescent Atoll

Map The Crescent Atoll

This map was commissioned by author Benedict Patrick for his newly released novel "To Dream And Die As A Taniwha Girl". The original map is hand drawn to 21 x 26 cm (8.3"x10.3") paper with Micron pens.

The process started last spring, and the drawing was supported by a succesful Kickstarter campaign in the summer. I also read the book myself in advance, and I have to say it was a pleasure to draw a map for a book I personally liked to read too! I tried to include a lot of details from the novel in the map. The book is deeply inspired by various Polynesian folktales, and I tried to include similar vibes to the map too. I'm personally happy about how the map turned out, and I hope the readers will like it too.

The original black and white version was used in the novel, and I also made a version with a digitally added background for Inprnt.

The novel is available here and prints of the map here.

CA_BW_Orbigraphia.png

CA_TX_Orbigraphia.png
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Nicely done!

- E
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

Really inspiring, well done.

IR

The shading on the inner volcano is great, making it an excellent centerpiece.

Interesting map. I love the border especially.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Jotenkin enemmän "fantasiamainen" kun mitä sinulta tavallisesti näkee, mutta erittäin toimiva! Kiva yleisilme, ja tykkään tuosta kompassista. Ja aina jaksan ihailla tuota kirjainten siisteyttä, ei tämmöinen harakanvarpaiden kuningatar voi ymmärtää
    Last edited by Kellerica; 12-17-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by eepjr24 View Post
    Nicely done!

- E
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Really inspiring, well done.

IR
    Thank you Adfor!

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    The shading on the inner volcano is great, making it an excellent centerpiece.

Thank you, I have to say I'm personally also very happy about how the volcano came out. There's not that much topography in the map otherwise, so I had to focus on that one big mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Interesting map. I love the border especially.
    Thanks! I took some inspiration from polynesian art, I found the idea for that design somewhere from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Jotenkin enemmän "fantasiamainen" kun mitä sinulta tavallisesti näkee, mutta erittäin toimiva! Kiva yleisilme, ja tykkään tuosta kompassista. Ja aina jaksan ihailla tuota kirjainten siisteyttä, ei tämmöinen harakanvarpaiden kuningatar voi ymmärtää
    Kiitos! Oon tosiaan muutamia tällaisa fantasiatyylisiä tehnyt myös, mutta en ole ehkä kaikkia muistanut täällä julkaista! Mukavaa tehdä välillä erilaisia karttoja, ja tietysti tämä oli mukava homma sinänsä että se oli ensimmäinen kartta, jonka olen tehnyt julkaistuun fantasiakirjaan tai romaaniin ylipäätään.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia