Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jan/Feb '21 Lite Challenge: Port Miro

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default Jan/Feb '21 Lite Challenge: Port Miro

So I bring to life Port Miro! A large military focused city, this port guards the mouth of the _____ River (still needs a name...). The map itself will be a side view from the deck of a ship that has just passed through the sea gate and gives a good view of the port's coast line. I will then have a simplistic plan of the city in one of the top corners. This map by Illanthar (wow. I can't believe that was 2 years ago... where is time going...) is my inspiration for a very general appearance.
    Here is a quick sketch and, I would like to emphasis, it is a quick sketch. The perspective is completely off and will require a good bit of work but it is a plan.

### Latest WIP ###
    draft 1.jpg

Welcome to the Challenge Arimel! Looks like a cool project!

I like the initial sketch you have here, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Thank you both! Here is the next update. I am sketching in pencil as I tend to be messing up quite frequently (hopefully the ghost lines are not apparent!). I have one of the docked ships 'complete'. Not quite happy with how the base of the ship meets the water but I can't figure out what I have done wrong. I have also moved the "eyes" for the map to a crows nest on a ship in the harbor. I could not draw the ship looking up at it, the lines just looked wonky. Those hands also took me far longer than I would like to admit to get to that stage.

image 2.png

### Latest WIP ###
    image 3.png
    Last edited by Arimel; 01-23-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Well if it becomes a problem you can use a light box (or a cobbled together light box) and trace out a clean copy once you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Well if it becomes a problem you can use a light box (or a cobbled together light box) and trace out a clean copy once you're done.
    I had not thought of that. Hopefully it will not need that but I will certainly keep it in mind!

--

So another update. Quite a bit has been done since the last one and I think my mind has started to melt a bit. I still have a couple dozen buildings left and the castle, and wall, and ... . But it is coming along.

### Latest WIP ###
    draft.jpg

Coming along great Arimel, and I love the hands in the bottom of the canvas!

This is great, Arimel. I love the perspective you've shown, right down to the pair of hands! Really looking forward to your next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Ok! So the next update. Just a couple houses added. I need to figure out what is visible outside the city wall now, if anything. We will see. I also need to fit a top down map somewhere. It is almost time to start inking, which will be a relief.

### Latest WIP ###
    update.jpg

Another quick update. I have added detail to a few houses. I wont pencil in the rest as I do not want to go through and erase it all later but that should give an idea on what it should look like. I added some clouds and forested hills behind the city as well. Now I need to decide about the smaller top down map. Upon consideration, I think I will do this on a separate page and have it set just next to this map or something like that rather than attempt to place it on this paper. I think the styles might clash a bit too much. Maybe it can be a sort of travel document map?

### Latest WIP ###
    draft.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast