Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb/Mar '21 Lite Challenge: A Map for a Convention.

Default Feb/Mar '21 Lite Challenge: A Map for a Convention.

Feb/Mar '21 Lite Challenge: A Map for a Convention.

Your challenge is to create a map that can be used to run a game at an RPG Convention. (GaryCon, GenCon, TotalCon, GameCon etc.) The type of game is totally up to you. It could be traditional Dungeons & Dragons, or CyberPunk, or GI Joe, or SciFi like Star Wars or generic SciFi, or Cthulhu, other Horror, Espionage, 007, or WWII, or Mechwarrior, or BootHill (western), Superhero..etc. The genres are endless, as are your choices. Whatever you want to do. The primary constraint is that Convention games are usually played in a 4 hour time slot. If the map is to large, or complex or to many levels there is no chance they will finish the game. On the other hand, if it is to simple they might finish in 2 hours and be disappointed to waste the playing time. The second requirement is that you provide a simple backstory of what type of game the map is for and a very basic setup of what is going on in the game. For example, tonight I ran a game at the Con that used a 5 room dungeon I called Dead Dragon's Treasure. So, it is a Fantasy game where the players find a map that gives directions to the lair of a long dead dragon and the potential of great treasure.

Now just because you don't play any RPG's does not mean you shouldn't enter. We are looking for a nice map that is not to big or to small and a simple reason for the game. The map can be anything, a fantasy dungeon, a starbase, a building, a prison, a hidden canyon, a submarine, the Death Star (just checking to see if you were paying attention, obviously the Death Star is to big!)

Please remember to title each thread: Feb/Mar '21 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also remember to preface each image you want to show up in the thumbnail scraper
    with: ### Latest WIP ### (If you don't, your map won't show up for the voters at
    voting time, which might hurt your chances. ) Try using the WIP Icon to make it nice and easy.

Please note: If you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

The challenge will end on or about the 14th of March, after which we'll have 3 days of voting. The winner of this month's challenge will receive, a circular silver compass, demonstrating his or her creativity.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses,
    1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started on or after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished, unless you start over from scratch.

DEADLINE: End of day, March 14th

Oh, how nice! I even wrote a oneshot back in December.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Great theme Bogie, I'm in. I've never really created an encounter map with multiple stages (only, say, a lower and upper floor), so this is a good personal challenge.

Hi Bogie. Can you show us some examples of what a 4 hour map would look like? I tried searching for it, but I just get a multitude of battle maps results without a time mentioned. I don't play tabletop games myself.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Oh, I so can't wait to see everyone's entries!

Hi Bogie,

Can you give some more concrete examples (a link?) for non-RPG tabletop players like me?

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
    View my website and Instagram

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

I agree with Kisachik and KaiAeon : as a total noob, it would be nice to have a little reference as to where to start!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Quote Originally Posted by KaiAeon View Post
    Can you give some more concrete examples (a link?) for non-RPG tabletop players like me?
    Here are 2 of the maps that I am using to run games This weekend:

Dead Dragon's Treasure: While they could have gotten through it in under 4 hours, this group explored every corner of the map and it took a little over 4 hours to complete.
    dead_dragon_s_treasure_by_bogie_dj_d6zm3tp.jpg

This afternoon I am running this map: The Lich Brother's Sanctum.
    It is a little bigger and more complex. When I have used it in the past they were not able
    to explore every single room, but were able to accomplish the mission. ( in this case the mission was to survive and get out )
    Lich Brothers Sanctum2_bg.jpg

Thank you

This sounds like fun, it's been a long time since I've done any type of encounter or small area map. I can already see isometric cross-sections in my future.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast