Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb/Mar '21 Lite Challenge: Pirate Treasure

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default Feb/Mar '21 Lite Challenge: Pirate Treasure

So I decided that I need to actually get started with this challenge if I intended to take part. After last month's challenge I am rather cityed / settlemented out so I decided to do an outdoor adventure. And, after all, who does not like hunting down pirate treasure? Also, this will give me the chance to retry drawing the ships from the last challenge.

An announcement is made. The great Seaclaw, famous pirate of the seas is dying, with only a week left to live. He has decided to release a map to the town square detailing the location to part of his great hoard of wealth. You and your crew have the opportunity of a lifetime, to follow the map and receive the riches at the end. But, what's this? Everyone knows about the map and treasure and several other crews have already set out, intent on making the treasure their own. What lengths will you go to to be the first to the treasure and is your crew up to the task?

To find the treasure you will need to find the key in Alcott (beware, taking more than one key will result in a far higher cost than you could predict), braving the Kraken Sea, finding your way through the maze of the Misty Isles, before landing on Seaclaw's island to battle the other pirates already searching for the treasure (should there be any time left in the adventure).

### Latest WIP ###
    Pirate Treasure.png

So an update. I think I actually have everything on the map now. I don't intend to include a compass because I imagine this map is slightly artistic, showing the regions but possibly not how they actually align on a proper map (otherwise one could simply sail around the sea of Krakens). Also, I can't think of a title for this map that is particularly suiting. I may include a small 'disclaimer' thing on the bottom though along the lines of "Presented by Pirate News, news you can trust!" or something equally ironic. I need to keep thinking though...

### Latest WIP ###

wip.png

This is looking great so far Arimel, I'm particularly liking the detail on the ship interior.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

I agree with wminsh, the cutaway boat is great!
    Welcome to the Challenge Arimel!
    I like that you have an extra encounter ready to use if they finish the game to fast. That does not happen often, but when it does, it leaves you trying to pick between wasted game time and throwing a random encounter at them that may or may not make sense.

Thank you both for the nice comments! I thought to include the half-ship as an example for, possibly, what the PCs might be sailing. I think it might be a bit too top heavy though... I hope it does not end up like the vasa ship .
    I honestly always have problems estimating encounter lengths. It largely depends on the group and how much they roleplay vs just get on. I think a final pirate battle would both make sense and be easy enough to plan so that it is not 'wasted work' should it not get used.

And another progress update. All but the captain's cabin is inked on the ship and the rest of the islands are soon to follow. I am conscious of the looming deadline though! I will need to pick up the pace.

### Latest WIP ###
    draft.png

Edit: I also need to sketch in some krakens... I seem to have missed them.

So the first scan is in! Here is the black and white version. I will now start on the colors.

### Latest WIP ###
    Pirate Treasure.png

It looks really nice when its all outlined. Great job Arimel

Nice work with the inking!

Thank you both!
    Here is the color version of the map. I am not too pleased with how the scan has come out. The map does not look nearly this faded in the physical copy. I have attached both the scan and an image of it to hopefully show the difference. I messed around with the exposure etc. with the scanner but I could not get any more color without lowering the exposure down so far it looked like the map was drawn at midnight.

pirate treasure - color2.png

Pirate Treasure - Color2.png

Edit: Actually, the image does not look that bad. I will come back through, crop it, and make that my final WIP later.

Try to fiddle with some filters in photoshop to add some brightness and vibrance. If you dont have the tools, i can try to help you with that step when you will be finished. But i am no pro with photoshop so no promises

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast