Thread: A Question: Can someone locate Pixie's tutorial on realistic topography?

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Question A Question: Can someone locate Pixie's tutorial on realistic topography?

Hello Guild,

I believe one of you referred to a topography tutorial by Pixie as a response to one of my posts.

I've found her climate tutorial but nothing about topography and realistic mountains (without a DEM).

Does anyone know if such a tutorial exists?

I would infinitely appreciate anyone's feedback about this.

Thanks,

Peter

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

Just to say "how" one might find stuff like that and to suggest how to make yourself a fishing rod here instead of just giving out some fish...

You can hit the "forum" menu button to get to the main forum page and then you have a "community" with "members". You hit the "P" tab button and find Pixie and then bring up the user profile.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/member.php?u=86593

On there you might see on the left "Find latest started threads" and for me number 4 on the list is ChickPeas suggestion.

Or you can use google and do a seach on "site:cartographersguild.com +Pixie +DEM" and see what comes up for you. If you use that Site listing then all of the suggestions that are not ads should be from the guild. Personally DuckDuckGo does a pretty good job. The first suggested link from DDG using that for me gives this post:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36702

and post #8 is Pixie suggesting ChickPeas thread again.

So there are two suggested ways you can find stuff like that.

Quick question about this method. I guess you have to take DEMs from similar latitudes on Earth to the latitudes you want to place them in in your own map. DEMs are in Equirectangular projetion I think so if you took one from Greenland and pasted into an equatorial region it would look stretched, wouldn't it? Normally you wouldn't do that unless you want fjords in your tropics as Slartibartfast did, but if you change the latitude of a patch significantly for whatever reason, or if your target projection is significantly divergent from equirectangular (e.g. if you were making a regional map of an area in a high latitude or you were placing high-latitude DEMs onto a map of a "flat" world), you would have to reproject it, wouldn't you?

Blog Entries

I think it probably would but you would get more responses to your query if we move this post to the actual pixie thread. Would you like me to do that ? I dont think it would help to continue that threads technical discussion on this one.

Sorry, I didn't think it was the done thing to revive a zombie thread but of course it's on a different board. I've just copied the text over. It won't hurt bumping it I guess!
    Last edited by chateauferret; 03-10-2021 at 05:36 PM.

I must apologize to you, Peter. The notification about your question got lost in my mail. I meant, first of all, the manual work that Pixie did. Here is the link. I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with Pixie themes, you will find a lot of useful informationI also advise you check the themes of Charerg and Tiluchi if you want to improve your creating relief and tectonic models.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=31120
    Last edited by Harrg; 03-11-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you ChickPea, Redrobes, chateauferret, and Harrg for responding and providing useful links. I found the Youtube video on "Becoming a Human Wilbur" the most relevant and useful, for I'm very determined to create my own mountains and mountain ranges, relying very little on actual Earth DEMs. No problem, Harrg; thank you for posting this link!

Peter