Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mar/Apr '21 Lite Challenge: Clover Terrace

Default Mar/Apr '21 Lite Challenge: Clover Terrace

Hi there!

For the spring theme challenge I bring you a map of this fine mattress factory. jk

I'm going to do this flower garden, but I'm still deciding whether to draw it in lush springtime with lots of tulips, or early spring with brownish grass and crocuses poking through. The ugly green in the image is a placeholder; I did this sketch after dark, while my monitor changes colours, so I don't even know how bad it is, but probably pretty bad, haha.

I'm kind of leaning towards early spring, since my favourite season of the year is that time when trees are just budding and are barely covered in the yellow-green foliage. It's so beautiful that I wish leaves took longer to grow.

It's a super early version, so I might still change the layout of the paths a bit in this ugly duckling.

### Latest WIP ###

Kisachik's Botanical Garden1.jpg
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Challenge Kisachik!
    I like that early spring green too!

Hi there Bogie!

Here's an update, I started creating line art over that rough sketch. The pathways now have this pretzel thing going on.

The place is surrounded by a forest, which is mostly finished, I think. Hand drawing all those trees sure does take a long time. Next I'll add flowerbeds and such.

### Latest WIP ###

Kisachik's Botanical Garden2.jpg

Good looking trees!

I can imagine quite exactly how much work must the trees be. Keep the good work.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This is looking really good so far. And pretzels are pretty good, so that is a definite positive for the map!

Hello friends!

Thanks for checking out my map. This one is possibly the most time consuming one I've ever done, and I haven't even put the flowerbeds detail on the map itself yet!

I didn't want it to look lush, cause then you wouldn't be able to tell it from summer. I added some illustrations framing the map to tell the story of spring. On the left we have morning frost covering the not yet green grass, while on the right an early spring shower is just reviving the plants. There is my plush Kisachik in both, curiously exploring the changing environment, inspecting frost crystals and later bringing home a bunch of tiny spring flowers, one of my favourites, grape hyacinths. There's also snowdrops and crocuses here and there.

Let me know what you think, I've been working on it for so long, I don't think I can trust my own judgment at this point. I hope it turns out really nice.

I like it but I'm probably biased, because it has my lovely Kisachik in it.

### Latest WIP ###

Kisachik's Botanical Garden3.png

Looks fantastic Kisachik! I really like how you framed it with 3 different perspectives!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This looks amazing and the animal (bear? cat?) in boots is fantastic. I understand why it is taking so much time!

Thanks guys!

Yes, that is a cat in the rain boots. I draw her a lot and so she inevitably got into my maps as well.

She's fun and adventurous. If you like cheerful, vibrant illustrations of cute, friendly plush animals, check out my instagram feed, @komosopix

Here's probably the finished version of the map. I forgot to colour two things on it, but they are so small it doesn't change the overall look, so I'm not fiddling with them. However, if any of you guys notice some huge mistake somewhere, do let me know. There's one more day in the challenge still.

### Latest WIP ###

Kisachik's Botanical Garden with Flowers.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast