Thread: Tolkien's Middle Earth: The Shire

Map Tolkien's Middle Earth: The Shire

Middle Earth has always been a favourite place of mine to escape to, so it felt only right to start a mapping journey there. I hope to map out some more locations eventually, but started off with The Shire because who doesn't want to escape to such an idyllic place? This was a lot of fun to do, (apart from all the tiny trees), and I can't wait to explore more of Middle Earth and develop my map skills as I do so!

I have attached two versions, one with some paper textures added, and one without. I can't decide which I prefer, let me know what you think! - AP.

Drawn in: Adobe Photoshop 2020
    Tablet: Wacom Cintiq
    Size: A4
    Resolution: 300dpi

The Shire.jpg The Shire (No Paper).jpg

Oh, these are pretty! I don't have a particular preference for with or without the textures, I suppose it depends on what you're going to use it for, haha.
    I was wondering, though, what fonts you used? I'm not very good with fonts and such, the few times I've made assets for my campaigns, and these fonts look very good!

Wonderful maps! I also love the fonts you used.
    Normally I love paper textures, but in this case I like the clean and simple look of the map without the texture even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Mage View Post
    Oh, these are pretty! I don't have a particular preference for with or without the textures, I suppose it depends on what you're going to use it for, haha.
    I was wondering, though, what fonts you used? I'm not very good with fonts and such, the few times I've made assets for my campaigns, and these fonts look very good!
    Thank you! Yeah I am always looking out for the perfect fonts and think I hit a good couple with these! They are both Google Fonts, Rock Salt and Nanum Pen Script are the names. I really wanted a hand drawn style of font without having to use my own rubbish handwriting �� So glad you like them! Hope they suit your maps too!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Wonderful maps! I also love the fonts you used.
    Normally I love paper textures, but in this case I like the clean and simple look of the map without the texture even more.
    Thank you! Yeah I can’t be sure as I like the clean and simple, but also find the one with the paper texture is easier on the eyes since it feels more muted with the textures.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Oh no... I sense that impending feeling that I need to read the LotRs again... It has been too long.

Really nice map though. The houses/icons have turned out really well.

Quote Originally Posted by AP. View Post
    Thank you! Yeah I am always looking out for the perfect fonts and think I hit a good couple with these! They are both Google Fonts, Rock Salt and Nanum Pen Script are the names. I really wanted a hand drawn style of font without having to use my own rubbish handwriting �� So glad you like them! Hope they suit your maps too!
    Thank you! I'll keep my eye on those the next time I need good handwriting fonts like this. Last time, I just gave up and went with something not as good.

Blog Entries

Very nice - both of them. I cant decide either.

I particularly like the fonts too. I really thought you had just hand done them and that was your handwriting style.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Oh no... I sense that impending feeling that I need to read the LotRs again... It has been too long.

Really nice map though. The houses/icons have turned out really well.
    Thanks! I am currently reading them again atm, one of the reasons I decided to do this map! (And yes, I encourage you to read them again too… )

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Very nice - both of them. I cant decide either.

I particularly like the fonts too. I really thought you had just hand done them and that was your handwriting style.
    Thank you! I wish my handwriting was like that! Perhaps I should start practicing. ��