Thread: WIP Map of a Southern Continent

Wip WIP Map of a Southern Continent

Hey guys I have been working on this map as one of 5 continents for a setting of my own design. I am trying to make something that would be relatively appropriate for a interwar or "diesel punk" era of technology and I am at a loss for what types of fonts to use for labeling. As you can see I have gone with a grotesk sans serif (Zen Kaku Antique Gothic) for this first attempt on state/nation level labels. I'm trying to find a balance between stuff that matches the map but is also period appropriate. What would be some suggested font styles for what I'm going for? Serif, grotesk, maybe something more of a display? Idk I'm sort of at a loss on this one.

qxALRSR.png
    Last edited by Broadhead; 11-11-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Also this is a question in a totally different direction, but is the water color weird? It looked good on one of my monitors but when I looked at it on a different computer it looks off. I'm like medium-level colorblind so I can't trust my own eyes lol

Very nice shape and coastlines! I'm afraid I can offer no help with the fonts, but concerning your other question: I don't think the water colour looks weird. It's quite muted, but I think that works well with the style you are going for.

Ok excellent; muted was the intent. Thanks!

Guild Apprentice

I'm not really a type expert (my bosses might not be happy to hear me say that) but I would look at historical references and go from there. For dieselpunk I would start with tool manuals and packaging circa world war one/industrial revolution. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up with a serif font for large type and a sans serif for small type. That's a pretty common pairing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wow that is a great idea damn